This IIT-Delhi Startup’s Innovation Tackles Air Pollution for Just Rs 10!
Who is Prateek Sharma?Born in Jaipur and raised in Bikaner, Rajasthan, Prateek Sharma had grown up watching his own mother, an asthmatic, struggle with both indoor and outdoor pollution and sand storms, a common phenomenon in the desert state. “It ached me to always see her cover her mouth with a dupatta when she walked outside. Growing up, I would either alter existing masks in the markets or gift her different types of equipment like nose-insertion buds. But nothing seemed to work. She refused to wear a mask stating that people would think she is sick if she stepped out with it and the nose-insertion buds created a lot of discomfort.” Today, the innovative nasal filter that his team has developed, christened ‘Nasofilter’, costing close to Rs 10 a piece, is protecting people in 30 countries against air pollutants.
What is Nasofilter?Launched as one of the first commercial products by the startup which was incubated at IIT-Delhi, it is a respiratory filter that restricts the entry of dust and tiny suspended particulate matter from entering your system while breathing. Particulate matter refers to the microscopic solid particles and liquid droplets floating in the atmosphere. Fine (PM2.5) and coarse (PM10) particles are considered to be the most hazardous pollutants. Nasofilter uses nanotechnology to create nanofibres by reducing the thread diameter of a normal fabric by 100 times, creating millions of pores in a tiny area to filter out pollutants. The resulting device can combat 90 per cent PM2.5 and 95 per cent PM10 particles.
What is its USP?
- It is small and easy to wear biodegradable polymer. In stark contrast to large traditional face masks, it is a transparent filter that covers your nostrils, is invisible from a distance and can be worn for up to 24 hours.
- It filters out PM2.5 and other air pollutants
- Does not restrict breathing or speaking
- It is also one of the cheapest options available in the market.
- The team was able to successfully patent the technology behind the innovation two months ago.
- It can purify the air from various pollutants such as PM 2.5, dust, allergens, etc inside a room by 90 per cent within the short span of one hour
- It is compatible with both window & split ACs
- It has no recurrent electricity costs
- It does not affect cooling or increase power consumption.
- It is easy to install and you change its filter by yourself.
- Even though one filter can last for two months, for best results, it is recommended to change it every month.